Monday, September 05, 2005

Tailgating and Football

So, yesterday I went to my first NC State football game and it was quite the experience. The big thing out here is to tailgate before the game, or as I observed to get wasted before you go inside. So I fit in well with all that drinking that I do. ;)
But I actually had a lot of fun. My friend Kate introduced me to a bunch of her friends, and I ate some authentic southern barbecue. So, I also learned that the term barbecue means something different out here. It isn't something you do, but rather a type of food that you eat. So barbecue usually consists of pork, hushpuppies, potatoes, coleslaw, and of course sweet tea, maybe a couple of other things, but if you are gonna grill some burgers and hot dogs, they call that a cookout. Just in case you were wondering. So back to football.... it was great to meet so many people, and everyone was really friendly and very much into the game. I've never seen such school pride before. It was contagious. So, although I was probably the only sober person among the 57,100 people that were there, it was awesome. Unfortunately we lost to Virginia Tech 20-16.

This doesn't totally capture the craziness of tailgating, but it'll give you an idea.......



Check out all that red and white! Go wolfpack!



My friend Kate and I took a pause from cheering.....



Lets see, to update you on what's been happening in the past month....lets just say a whole lot of studying! The amount of work is insane, but I love it. Finally the things we are learning have meaning, and the teachers aren't trying to trick you. Every day when I drive up to school and I see the cows roaming around, I can't help but smile. I can't imagine having gone to any other school. And I love my classmates! Everyone is really amazing, and I'm making some great friends. So outside of the cadavers in anatomy, I do get to play with some live animals. The second week of school I got to work with horses, just basic things, grooming, cleaning and checking the feet, estimating weight, and trotting. But this past week I got to work with goats. I learned how to draw blood, trim feet, estimate age by their teeth, and check their eyes. It was great, although I did get kicked in the face by my goat. :-/ But don't worry, it didn't hurt, it came as more of a shock than anything. It's sort of the big joke now, because supposedly they don't kick, yea that's a lie. I guess it didn't like that needle in its neck. This week I get to work with dairy cows, so that should be awesome as well. Well I guess I should be studying huh. Fine. :)

A tiny chunk of my campus and some super cute cows........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home