Thursday, September 15, 2005

Dairy Lab

So, last Friday I got to work with the dairy cows. They are huge! And surprisingly cute. We learned how to harness and tie them up for procedures, how to draw blood from the tail, and how to pull them down onto the ground for certain procedures. Check out my super cool farmer outfit, I'll try to get the boots in there next time for the full effect.

I just put the harness on and I'm trying to lift the cow's head in order to tie her against the railing. I had to use my hip to try to lift that enormous thing.




Action shot of me drawing blood from the tail. It was crazy because you stick the needle in perpendicular to the tail and you actually hit the bone. It felt weird but it was awesome!



After wrapping the ropes around the cow, three of us pulled her to the ground.



So my first cow experience went smoothly, but I don't think I'll be switching my focus to cows. They were cute, but I'm all about the dogs and cats. I'm also exploring the world of equine, a.k.a. horses.

Other than that, this week has been crazy; I've been studying non-stop. I had an anatomy practical and exam earlier today, and tomorrow I have a physiology quiz. They keep you on your toes here that's for sure. I'm looking forward to getting some sleep this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home